Pages

Monday, July 11, 2011

Harry Potter - Daniel Radcliffe in Time Out New York




You’ve been done with filming on Potter for about a year; is it weird revisiting that world now that you’re doing press for the final movie?
I thought it was going to be weird, but actually I’m so delighted with the film. I did not think I would be as proud and as happy as I am, which is lovely. So actually it’s a real pleasure to be able to come back to it. I think [Deathly Hallows: Part 2] is just light years ahead of any of the others, in terms of filmmaking, in terms of acting. I find it really amazing that it was made more or less at the same time as part one because I think we’re different actors in it, and I don’t know how that happened.


The subject matter in this film is a lot heavier than in previous ones.
I said to someone the other day, 'It’s like the emotional range of Shakespeare with the action and blood of Tarantino.' The body count in this film is massive.


Did you get to keep any souvenirs?
I’ve got two pairs of glasses, one without lenses and one with. [One is] a pair from the first film, which is kind of cool because my head was tiny then. I didn’t want anything else.


The character of Harry is pretty different from the character of J. Pierrepont Finch; one is good and brave, and the other is unscrupulous and amoral. Has one been more fun to play?
Finch has certainly got balls, which Harry does. There’s a certain amount of fearlessness in Finch because he has nothing to lose; that inspires a certain level of bravery in him. I can’t really compare them because they’re in different mediums, but if I had to choose, I’d probably say [Finch]. He doesn’t have necessarily the big emotional arc that Harry had, but in terms of fun and getting laughs and doing comedy, Finch is probably more fun.


What will you miss most about playing Harry Potter?
It’s very rare in your career that you get to play an action hero. I’m not the natural frame and stature of an action hero, so I may not get to play one again. Things like bursting out of the water in film six, surrounded by a ring of fire.…I won’t get to do that again. I miss that stuff. I miss the crew, but I will be seeing them quite a lot and hopefully working with them again. I will miss playing Harry, but I’ve played him for ten years. That’s more time than any actor gets with a character normally.