RopeofSilicon.com compiles a list ranking Chris Nolan's best work. The titles and places of the movies are bolded, so you can skip all the text if you want.
Again - Be careful. Spoilers for the movies on this list (ahem, Inception, ahem) may be discussed in this post. There may even be some spoilers in the article, so please, be careful.
NUMBER 7: INSOMNIA
I recently reviewed the new Blu-ray edition for this film released by Warner Home Video and for any of you that read that review you probably aren't too surprised to see Insomnia at the bottom of this list. I don't particularly dislike this movie as much as it just isn't a personal favorite. Something about the detective-killer relationship going on in this film just doesn't ring true for me causing the film to sort of fall flat. It has some great visuals and I certainly don't hate it, but it just isn't a film I would return to if given the choice.
NUMBER 6: FOLLOWING
The story centers on a young writer who gets himself into some measure of trouble as he begins following strangers out of mere curiosity when he finds himself confronted by a professional burglar who ends up taking him along on his next robbery, giving him a taste for what it's like to really step into the lives of strangers and see how they live. His curiosity piqued, he acquires a taste for it as well as a love for their first victim, which ultimately proves to be the turning point in the movie.
NUMBER 5: BATMAN BEGINS
I had trouble placing this one. After seeing The Dark Knight in 2008 I thought I'd rarely return to Batman Begins, but truth is in rewatching both films in preparation for this article I was surprised at just how much I still enjoy this film in comparison to its sequel. While The Dark Knight still reigns supreme in my eyes it was a much closer competition than I'd expected.
NUMBER 4: THE DARK KNIGHT
As great as this film is, I can't help but admit the more I watch it the longer it feels. I remember after writing my A+ review, coming back home to Seattle and watching it again and starting to second guess myself as the length of it began to weigh on me. The logic problems in the film also cause me a bit of concern, but as I said in my top ten of 2008, the fact I'm able to overlook the film's problems and still enjoy it as much as I do speaks to its greatness.
The Dark Knight is sheer entertainment and I love it for that fact alone. It seems pointless to try and poke at it anymore than is absolutely necessary and on top of all else, I can't get over how great Heath Ledger was as The Joker. For as out of left field as that casting seemed when it was first announced it was obviously the right decision.
NUMBER 3: THE PRESTIGE
Out of all seven of Nolan's films, watching The Prestige again offered probably the biggest surprise for me. I gave the film a B when I reviewed it in 2006 and my recollection of it was that it was a good film, but one that tended to drag. I hadn't watched it since reviewing the DVD in 2007 and reading back on that it sounds as if at that time I started to gain a greater appreciation for the film, and certainly watching it again three years later I have come to like it much, much more.
NUMBER 2: INCEPTION
Just yesterday I went and watched Inception for the third time in eight days. This time I watched it in IMAX and loved it all over again. However, where to place it in this ranked order was impossible, but I just wasn't willing to place it at number one. As much as I love the film, and like The Dark Knight, stand by the A+ I gave it in my review I'm just not confident it will stand the test of time at number one when I look back at Nolan's films from this bunch. The fact I enjoyed rewatching The Prestige as much as I did weighed heavily on this decision.
However, a number two placement doesn't make this film any less in my eyes. As I watched yesterday I began looking for even more clues to figure out the puzzle than those we've been discussing at length. Such as, I noticed Cobb only wears his wedding ring in the dreamworld. Unfortunately, there wasn't a good enough shot to tell if he has one on at the end or not… which basically means I need the Blu-ray to arrive sooner rather than later.
NUMBER 1: MEMENTO
Here is Nolan's first breakout film, and in my opinion it's still his best. Ever since seeing Memento for the first time in 2000 there hasn't been a time I've watched it and been disappointed. I love the fact the "I've Done It" tattoo has baffled people and caused some to refer to it as a plot hole. I have to wonder, after watching all of Nolan's films would those same people still call it a plot hole or realize it for what it is… just one more instance of Nolan messing with your head.
SOURCE



